Discuss here the best article iPad2 contest

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jun 6 15:02:22 PDT 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.vwn0r9ymeav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>I voted for David's article.  It was a very close call for me between
>Robert and David.  Both articles were well written and covered very
>similar topics, both of which I learned some new things from.

I'm still trying to narrow it down, they're all good!

> Everyone did a great job.  This was a tough one to decide.  Nick, your
> article was too long for me,

Yea, understandable. When I realized how long it ended up, I figured that
could work either for or against me ;)

> but I *loved* the dialog.  It reminded me  tremendously of the very
> successful (and one of my favorite) series Head  First programming books
> (mostly centered on Java), where they do things  like interviews of
> variable types.

Thanks. I haven't read any of the "Head First" series. But a long time ago I
read a bunch of C/C++ books, and there was one in particular that really
stuck out in my mind, that I never forgot. I don't remember the name of it,
but it involved a robotic dog (pictured on the cover) and featured the
"Profound Object Oriented Programming" method, ie "POOP". Probably 90% of
the C/C++ books I've read I have no memory of whatsoever, but that one
always stuck with me and has definitely influenced my style. Whether that's
for the better or the worse, I can't really say ;)

> TBH, I really expected more voter turnout.  Maybe there will be a
> last-minute rush.

I'd been thinking the same thing, too. Although it looks like the rush may
have just started...