How about "auto" parameters?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 7 11:31:34 PDT 2011

On 6/3/2011 8:19 AM, Matthew Ong wrote:
> Welcome to D forum, where new idea are squashed and maybe re-discussed later.
> Look up my name as Matthew Ong. Avoid asking the same questions.

Yes, I can understand you feeling that way, being new to the forum.

But consider the following:

1. Proposals for changing the language come in daily. Yes, I mean day after day,
week after week, month after month, etc. An army of programmers could not
possibly implement them, and simply reading about them is in itself a full time
job. This pretty much forces us to be "Doctor No" to everything but the very,
very best of them.

2. By comparison, C++0x took 10 years to settle on a couple dozen new features.
It's the opposite extreme, sure, but is another point on the graph.

3. A constant barrage of implementation of new/incompatible/disruptive features
makes the language unstable and unusable.

4. D is a large language, and it takes a while to grok the D way of doing
things. People new to D naturally try to use it like the language they came from
(and come up short because D isn't their old, comfortable language). Heck, my
first year of Fortran programs looked like Basic programs. My first year of C
programs looked like Fortran programs. My early C++ programs looked like C
programs. And etc.

5. While sometimes someone with fresh eyes can see obvious improvements we all
missed, it is a high bar for that to happen.

6. Going from a proposal a few lines long to implementing it is many hours of
work - designing, interaction with other features, performance, backwards
compatibility, rewriting the specification, writing a test suite, all in
addition to actually coding up the change.

7. D's implementation is all up on github now. This means that anyone can fork D
and try out new language features. Anyone can grab those forks and try the new
feature out and provide real world feedback on it. Having such experience makes
it easier to see if a feature is worth while or not.