Article discussing Go, could well be D

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jun 8 16:06:59 PDT 2011

On 6/8/11 4:38 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad
> <public at kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:
>
>     http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hudvd/
>     the_go_programming_language_or_why_all_clike/
>
>     The author presents a "wish list" for his perfect systems programming
>     language, and claims that Go is the only one (somewhat) fulfilling it.
>     With the exception of item 7, the list could well be an
>     advertisement for
>     D.
>
>     -Lars
>

> I found the comments on the Hacker News post
> <http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2631964> about this article more
> interesting.
>
> Regards,
> Brad Anderson

Agreed. The top poster does repeat a point made by others: D does fail
on point 7. Allow me to paste it:

=============
7. Module Library and Repository
     I want all the niceties I have grown used to in scripting languages
built-in or part of the standard library. A public package repository
with a decent portable package manager is even better. Typical packages
include internet protocols, parsing of common syntaxes, GUI, crypto,
common mathematical algorithms, data processing and so on. (Example:
Perl 5 CPAN)

That's it. We need a package management expert on board to either revive
dsss or another similar project, or define a new package manager
altogether. No "yeah I have some code somewhere feel free to copy from
it"; we need professional execution. Then we need to make that tool part
of the standard distribution such that library discovery, installation,
and management is as easy as running a command.

I'm putting this up for grabs. It's an important project of high impact.
Wondering what you could do to help D? Take this to completion.

Andrei