Article discussing Go, could well be D

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:50:35 PDT 2011

Am 09.06.2011 03:31, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic:
> C libraries are great. They're flat and have little overhead.You can
> build your own OOP/whatever-oriented interfaces around the library,
> referencing just the functions that you need. Simple stuff compared to
> some monsters like QtD.

You still have to generate/write the D bindings (and generating only
works on windows) before you can use them.
This may not be too hard in most cases, but certainly discourages
newbies who just want to have ready to use libs.

And in some cases it can be hard, like when non-trivial macros are used
(like for some unix socket stuff), or when there are a lot of custom
types (and you can't just generate the bindings but have to write them
yourself). In these cases it may sometimes be easier to write the code
in C, exposing an even simpler interface suitable for your needs and
call your own C functions from D (that's what I've done for
aforementioned unix socket stuff: passing socket/file descriptors to
another process needs those cmsg macros and structs).

But stuff like this probably discourages newbies even more, especially
when they're not coming from C/C++ but Java or Python or something.

Cheers,

- Daniel