Best article vote tally - WE HAVE TWO WINNERS!

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Thu Jun 9 12:19:23 PDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 20:02, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/9/2011 11:03 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> So there is going to be a next one?
>
> Yes, maybe in 6 months or so. I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

Excellent! I really enjoyed writing my article, 'twas great fun. I plan
on writing more, the major set backs for me are lack of ideas and lack
of time (though if I find something interesting time seems to manifest
itself anyway).

> But next time we need to devise a tie-breaking rule. Any suggestions? A
> runoff?

This could be difficult - if I'd had one more vote we'd have had a three
way tie, and I doubt another round of voting would have made a difference.

My suggestion would be something more imaginative to tie break. We can't
do rock paper scissors over the internet or use a random number
generator without people complaining about it being fixed, but how about
a puzzle of some sort? Obviously it should be accessible to all (we
could get a fantastic article from someone who's not from an academic
background that would struggle with say, an Euler problem). Perhaps who
can do X in the coolest possible way using D. Then that could be voted on.

Alternatively, there could be another round of articles (probably too
time consuming) or opening voting up to other programming communities. I
had some other ideas, but I've forgotten them.

> BTW, there's nothing in the rules preventing an author from tooting his
> own horn and doing a bit of marketing of their article(s) for votes!

Who says we didn't do that? :D

The D community is far too moral though, when it's the last 30 minutes
of the competition everyone claims they don't have enough time to read
the articles, they refuse to vote blindly. Not that I'd know of course!

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/