Best article vote tally - WE HAVE TWO WINNERS!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 12:21:13 PDT 2011

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:02:08 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 6/9/2011 11:03 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> So there is going to be a next one?
>
> Yes, maybe in 6 months or so. I'm very happy with how this one turned
> out.
>
> But next time we need to devise a tie-breaking rule. Any suggestions? A
> runoff?

We're all developers here, I think people might be open to an instant
runoff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Essentially, you rank the articles 1 to x, and then the algorithm figures
out the winner.  It's still possible to have a tie, but unlikely.

I think for the next time, someone should write a newsgroup-to-vote
program that automatically counts the votes (must be in D of course!)

> BTW, there's nothing in the rules preventing an author from tooting his
> own horn and doing a bit of marketing of their article(s) for votes!

We're developers, not politicians :)  If you allow this, then we'll have
to start creating youtube ads showing the other articles' past records of
infidelity and such, and it just turns ugly.

-Steve