Best article vote tally - WE HAVE TWO WINNERS!

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Thu Jun 9 12:35:44 PDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 20:21, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:02:08 -0400, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/9/2011 11:03 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>>> So there is going to be a next one?
>>
>> Yes, maybe in 6 months or so. I'm very happy with how this one turned
>> out.
>>
>> But next time we need to devise a tie-breaking rule. Any suggestions?
>> A runoff?
>
> We're all developers here, I think people might be open to an instant
> runoff:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
>
> Essentially, you rank the articles 1 to x, and then the algorithm
> figures out the winner. It's still possible to have a tie, but unlikely.

I thought about mentioning this, but decided against it. I believe FPTP
is the best way to vote for this kind of competition.

> I think for the next time, someone should write a newsgroup-to-vote
> program that automatically counts the votes (must be in D of course!)

Of course, then that one person who doesn't format their vote quite
right loses out...

>> BTW, there's nothing in the rules preventing an author from tooting
>> his own horn and doing a bit of marketing of their article(s) for votes!
>
> We're developers, not politicians :) If you allow this, then we'll have
> to start creating youtube ads showing the other articles' past records
> of infidelity and such, and it just turns ugly.

Given the rule that voters must have used their handle here before,
that's not going to happen. I won't comment further to avoid ranting.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/