[OT] D's community is awesome!

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jun 9 23:27:45 PDT 2011

Seriously. You have a problem with something D-related? D-people are
helpful, friendly and articulate.

By contrast, I once again tried to get TortoiseHg/hg-git working with
github. TortoiseHg's homepage has a big prominent "download latest installer
for your OS" button (but worded better than that ;) ). It includes hg-git,
mercurial, dulwich, all the requirements built right in with a nice
installer. Great, right? Except a simple "clone from github, modify, commit,
push" didn't work (just like it never did before). This time it was a little
bit different, though. Something about not being "head", and something else
about bookmarks. Blah, blah, etc.

That's all fine, of course. I can understand bugs getting in now and then,
and even taking a little while to get sorted out, especially on a big major
OSS project. So I filed a bug report.

Now here's where the D world really shines: If this had been within the D
sphere of influence, the response would most likely have been helpful,
meaningful, friendly, you know, *good*. But with this, the response I got
was three lower-cased, non-punctuated words: "update your extensions"
...WTF? Yea, way to be helpful. Thanks for nothing. At least it wasn't
"RTFM" - whoever coinded that one seriously needs to be shot.

But from my (admittedly still limited) experience, that sort of thing seems
to be typical of places like BitBucket and Launchpad (I've had worse on
Launchpad before, regarding Ubuntu: Ubuntu has a long-standing tradition of
screwing up the screen resolution if you boot with your monitor off. But
instead of doing anything sensible about it, like, say, marking it as
Triaged at Low Priority and accepting that the problem even exists, it works
like this: You post on the existing open report for it, and they scold you
for using custom drivers. You point out that you get the same problem
*without* using the custom drivers, and they insist you need to open a new
report "because your configuration is different than the OP". Ok, but
there's about ten other reports (from other people who also had a different
configuration) that did *exactly that*, which were promptly closed for being
duplicates. WTF?!?)

Anyway, I don't actually care about this issue anymore, and I'm not posting
here looking for help on it. I dislike Git/TortoiseGit, but at least I can
get by with them, whereas I've pretty much concluded at this point that
hg-git just isn't worth bothering with.

But the point is, I really appreciate how awesome the D community is
compared to so many others.