Article discussing Go, could well be D

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Jun 10 07:07:11 PDT 2011

On 06/09/2011 03:36 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> So he flat out *states* that he passed over D and gave Issue 9 a try
> *because* of what was done decades ago by one of the people involved.

OK, I missed that, because I searched for "Pike" in the article, and he
mentioned Thompson. Your post didn't mention anybody explicitly by name,
except for "that Issue 9 guy". Considering that Pike has been the face
of Go, it was a reasonable assumption.

You still didn't need to pass judgment on what is notable or not in
their later careers. It's enough to say that dismissing D as being
"irrelevant" without justification is the problem.

Also, there's nothing wrong with taking a look at a C-like language
because the inventors were heavily involved with the original C and Unix
environments. Much like people are encouraged to look at D because of
Walter's past work with a C++ compiler and Andrei's C++ experience. As a
way to pique interest, it's valid. However, that should not be a
determination of a language's actual merit.