Article discussing Go, could well be D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jun 10 10:19:15 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-10 09:29, Caligo wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu

> > That's it. We need a package management expert on board to either revive
> > dsss or another similar project, or define a new package manager
> > altogether. No "yeah I have some code somewhere feel free to copy from
> > it"; we need professional execution. Then we need to make that tool part
> > of the standard distribution such that library discovery, installation,
> > and management is as easy as running a command.
> >
> > I'm putting this up for grabs. It's an important project of high impact.
> > Wondering what you could do to help D? Take this to completion.
> >

> > Andrei
>
> Andrei, I have to respectfully disagree with you on that, sorry.
>
> D is supposed to be a system programming language, not some scripting
> language like Ruby. Besides, the idea of some kind of package
> management for a programming language is one of the worst ideas ever,
> specially when it's a system programming language. You have no idea
> how much pain and suffering it's going to cause the OS developers and
> package maintainers. I can see how the idea might be attractive to
> non-*nix users, but most other *nix OSs have some kind of package
> management system and searching for, installing, and managing software
> is as easy as running a command.

Personally, I don't care much. However, there _are_ other *nix languages which
do this sort of thing - e.g. Perl has CPAN. And even if the distro doesn't use
it, it's likely to make their job in getting their packages set up properly.
And if having a packaging system for D libraries helps boost the language,
then I have no problem with it. But ultimately, how much value it adds will
depend on what it does and how it works, and we won't know that until it's
been design and implemented, which obviously hasn't been done yet.

- Jonathan M Davis