Article discussing Go, could well be D

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 10:58:30 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 6/8/11 4:38 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad
>> <public at kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:
>>
>>    http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hudvd/
>>    the_go_programming_language_or_why_all_clike/
>>
>>    The author presents a "wish list" for his perfect systems programming
>>    language, and claims that Go is the only one (somewhat) fulfilling it.
>>    With the exception of item 7, the list could well be an
>>    advertisement for
>>    D.
>>
>>    -Lars
>>

>> I found the comments on the Hacker News post
>> <http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2631964> about this article more
>> interesting.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brad Anderson
>>

> Agreed. The top poster does repeat a point made by others: D does fail on
> point 7. Allow me to paste it:
>
> =============
> 7. Module Library and Repository
>    I want all the niceties I have grown used to in scripting languages
> built-in or part of the standard library. A public package repository with a
> decent portable package manager is even better. Typical packages include
> internet protocols, parsing of common syntaxes, GUI, crypto, common
> mathematical algorithms, data processing and so on. (Example: Perl 5 CPAN)
> =============
>
> That's it. We need a package management expert on board to either revive
> dsss or another similar project, or define a new package manager altogether.
> No "yeah I have some code somewhere feel free to copy from it"; we need
> professional execution. Then we need to make that tool part of the standard
> distribution such that library discovery, installation, and management is as
> easy as running a command.
>
> I'm putting this up for grabs. It's an important project of high impact.
> Wondering what you could do to help D? Take this to completion.

I'm not an expert, but I've been quietly working on a build tool that I'm
hoping to make into a drop-in replacement for dsss with the incremental
build advantages of xfbuild. I'll toss it on github when it can parse a dsss
config and build from that. Right now, it's basically a very simple xfbuild.
As for the packaging aspect of dsss, I'll have to take a closer look at how
it was originally implemented.