Article discussing Go, could well be D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Jun 10 11:58:43 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:29 -0700, Andrew Wiley wrote:
[ . . . ]

> I agree, and this is the approach of Java tools like Maven and
> Ant/Ivy. Package a release and label it with the version, then never
> ever modify it. This makes it hard to work with the "trunk" of a
> project (though an exceptional case could be made if there's enough
> justification), but with enough developmental releases, it seems to
> work pretty well.

Working with trunk is easy, there is the snapshots repository (at least
at Codehaus).  artefacts in this repository are NOT immutable and build
frameworks have a responsibility to check and act accordingly.  Gradle
does, Maven sometimes does, Ant/Ivy tends to get it wrong without extra
help.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk