Historical moment: D2 is now D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 14:06:13 PDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:11:34 -0400, Mike James <foo at bar.com> wrote:

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
> news:istj83$1rsa$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I think we all agree that it is appropriate to characterize D2 to mean
>> "The
>> D Programming Language".
>>
>> From here on, we have changed the website
>> http://d-programming-language.org to reflect that reality. D simply
>> refers
>> to what was formerly known as D2, and D1 stays D1.
>>
>> Also, today Walter will change the "D" links from digitalmars.com to
>> point
>> to http://d-programming-language.org, which is now the official site of
>> the D programming language. Expect (and please contribute) many
>> improvements of that site going forward.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei
>
> So D2 becomes D.
> And D1 becomes D--.

D0

Seriously though, I'm not sure why we have to do this...  It's weird to
have D1 and D.  To me, D1 > D, like in D, D1, D2, D3

I hope this pattern doesn't continue for D3 (well, actually, would that
then be D2?)

Why can't D2 be D version 2, and D1 be D version 1, where both languages
are the D programming language?  It's how other languages do things (C#,
php, python, etc.).

-Steve