Historical moment: D2 is now D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 15:22:27 PDT 2011

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:34:55 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> On 2011-06-10 14:06, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:11:34 -0400, Mike James <foo at bar.com> wrote:
>> > "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>> > news:istj83$1rsa$1 at digitalmars.com...

>> mean

>> of

>> > So D2 becomes D.
>> > And D1 becomes D--.
>>
>> D0
>>
>> Seriously though, I'm not sure why we have to do this... It's weird to
>> have D1 and D. To me, D1 > D, like in D, D1, D2, D3
>>
>> I hope this pattern doesn't continue for D3 (well, actually, would that
>> then be D2?)
>>
>> Why can't D2 be D version 2, and D1 be D version 1, where both languages
>> are the D programming language? It's how other languages do things (C#,
>> php, python, etc.).
>
> D is the programming language. There are multiple versions of it.
> Currently,
> we have versions 1 and 2, which are typically referred to as D1 and D2.
> D2 is
> the most recent - and therefore current - version, whereas D1 is the
> previous
> version. On the main site, we're choosing to generally mean D2 when we
> refer
> to D and specifically say D1 when referring to stuff which is specific
> to D1.
> Presumably, if and when there is D3 and it becomes appropriatey stable
> to be
> considered the current version of the language, then D3 will be referred
> to as
> D, and the term D2 will be used when referring to something which is
> specific
> to D2.
>
> It's quite typical when talking about other languages (C#, Java, python,
> etc.)
> to not be particularly specific about version numbers when talking about
> the
> language. When using the language's name without a version number, you're
> generally either referring to the language as a whole or to the latest
> version. We're just going to be doing the same on D's official site. The
> term
> D2 will still be used if we need to be specific about versions, but in
> general, we're talking about the most recent version of the language when
> talking about D, so we're just calling it D. I don't see anything odd
> about
> that.

That's why I don't understand the significance.  When you want to refer to
D2, use D2, when you want to refer to D1, use D1, when you want to refer
to both langauges or the language "family" in general, use D.  Wasn't it
already this way?  What is the stigma of saying D and meaning possibly D1?

I guess perhaps it's not a big deal...

-Steve