Article discussing Go, could well be D

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Jun 10 16:18:36 PDT 2011

On 06/10/2011 05:27 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> No, what I'm starting to do *now* is inflammatory. What I did before is make
> an observational statement which you twisted around into a condemnation.

Bullshit. It's not an "observational statement" to pass judgment on a
man's later career. You make it sound like you're recording astronomical
position of the stars. Factually, people have noted what both Pike and
Thompson have done past the 1970s, so your "observational statement" is
just an opinion, and a demeaning one.

> As for ad hominem, you don't seem to even understand the concept. What makes
> something an ad hominem fallacy is assigning truth value based on *who*
> agrees with, disagrees with, or is otherwise associated with it. What *I*
> did was make a statement *about* a person.

That statement added nothing to the argument. Instead, it subtracted
from the argument by introducing a contentious point, just like the
original author did with his "sphere of irrelevancy" comment. Pike and
Thompson are notable figures in the history of C and Unix, and there's
nothing wrong with having more interest in a systems language from them
because of that. Whether their careers were notable after that is a moot
and inflammatory point.

> I don't have to be an elected or appointed judge, or God, or
> anything like that to be entited to have that viewpoint and voice it.

Of course you don't. I never suggested otherwise. However, that doesn't
make it beyond reproach.

Anyways, this is my last post on the matter.