Flag proposal

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Jun 11 09:56:49 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-11 12:01:33 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 6/11/11 10:40 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2011-06-11 09:56:28 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>>> For representing categorical data with small sets, programming
>>> languages use enumerated types. This is because in a small set you can
>>> actually give name each element. That way you have a separate type for
>>> the categorical data so you can enjoy good type checking. The mistake
>>> I believe you are making is the conflation of a categorical data with
>>> two categories with an unstructured Boolean. By making that conflation
>>> you lose the advantages of good typechecking in one fell swoop.
>>
>> I think you're misinterpreting. I don't like yes/no enums because I
>> don't find the value names meaningful, but I'm perfectly fine with
>> two-element enums if they are properly named.
>
> What is meaningless about OpenRight.yes?

Choosing between "yes" and "no" is not meaningful. I'd rather choose
between "open" and "closed". Of course you'd have to pick a more
fitting name for the enum, preferably one that could work for all
bounds, not just the right one to make the category more useful.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/