Flag proposal [OT]

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 18:40:01 PDT 2011

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:04:47 -0400, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/11/11, Alix Pexton <alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.dot.com> wrote:
>> On 11/06/2011 06:18, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>> We should rename Yes and No to Yay and Nay to make them alignable, and
>>> even more importantly to make us appear as old Englishmen!
>>
>> "Yay" and "Nay" are too similar looking, but luckily, "Yay" is not
>> actually a old English word :)  A more correct alternative would be
>> "Aye" (pronounced the same as "eye"), which (along with "Nay") is still
>> used for some voting actions (such as councillors deciding where to go
>> for lunch). I myself say it al least 20 times a day :)
>>
>> A...
>>

> Oh damn, yay is what teenage girls would say, not old Englishmen. My
> bad, it really is "Aye". :p

You were phonetically right :)  It's yea or nay.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/yea-or-nay

My son's most recent birthday (3 years old) was a farm-themed birthday,
and we asked people to RSVP yay or neigh :P

So I guess there's all kinds of kooky fun you can have with flags...

-Steve