Flag proposal [OT]

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Sun Jun 12 01:36:55 PDT 2011

On 12/06/2011 02:40, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:04:47 -0400, Andrej Mitrovic
> <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "Yay" and "Nay" are too similar looking, but luckily, "Yay" is not
>>> actually a old English word :) A more correct alternative would be
>>> "Aye" (pronounced the same as "eye"), which (along with "Nay") is still
>>> used for some voting actions (such as councillors deciding where to go
>>> for lunch). I myself say it al least 20 times a day :)
>>>
>>> A...
>>>

>> Oh damn, yay is what teenage girls would say, not old Englishmen. My
>> bad, it really is "Aye". :p
>
> You were phonetically right :) It's yea or nay.
>
> http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/yea-or-nay
>
> My son's most recent birthday (3 years old) was a farm-themed birthday,
> and we asked people to RSVP yay or neigh :P
>
> So I guess there's all kinds of kooky fun you can have with flags...
>
> -Steve

Nope, its definitely Aye when used for voting, (at least it is round
here) as in "all those in favour, say aye", "ayes to the right" and "the
ayes have it". Maybe southerners say this "yea" word of which you speak,
we don't hold with their strange customs in these parts ^^

A...