Is This a Solution For the Const/Rebindable Issue?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 20:46:25 PDT 2011

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:36:21 -0400, Mehrdad <wfunction at hotmail.com> wrote:

> An idea came to my mind for fixing the const/rebindable issue, and I'm
> not sure if it's a good idea or not but I thought I'd mention it. I'm
> not sure if it's been mentioned before, but a quick search didn't make
> it seem like it has been.

It has been brought up, a long time ago, by me on the phobos mailing list
(the idea to just assume const(Object) is rebindable, not the final
thing).  I think it was on the ML that Andrei maintained, so it's archive
is gone.

I had the exact same thoughts as you, and Walter found a perfectly
iron-clad reason why it doesn't work.  I can't say I remember the exact
reason (maybe he does off the top of his head), but it definitely killed
the idea quite well.  So it doesn't work unfortunately :(  I know the lack
of reference/reason is unsatisfying, but I hope you can trust me that to
pursue this is not going to go anywhere, and I don't want to re-argue it
again...

-Steve