Does anyone actually use std.string.capwords or std.string.capitalize?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jun 13 06:27:24 PDT 2011

> I have a hard time believing that std.string.capwords or
> std.string.captitalize are actually used much. It just doesn't seem to me like
> they would be generally useful functions. They're far too specific in what
> they do and aren't flexible enough. And if they're not pulling their own
> weight, then they should be removed from std.string. So, the question is:
>
> Is there anyone on the newsgroup here who actually uses std.string.capwords or
> std.string.capitalize? And if you do, do you use them often?
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

These are not very D-like, and indeed so: they're part of Walter's
experiment to include string functions from other string-savvy languages
into Phobos1. These two particular functions are Python's:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/python/0201616165/working-with-strings/ch10lev1sec2

It doesn't seem like the experiment was a success. To answer your
question, I wouldn't shed a tear if these functions were gone.

Andrei