Fixing the imaginary/complex mess

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Jun 13 06:36:32 PDT 2011

On 6/13/11 6:36 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> I seemed to think the plan for complex numbers was to do what happened
> with associative arrays, that is, keep the language syntax, but have the
> feature implemented in the library. Is this not the case?

No, the current vision is to completely replace complex with library
artifacts. Walter wants to keep the "i" postfix as a hack, but I think
that's completely unnecessary.

A complex() convenience function should be useful. If anyone has the
time, please create a pull request. It should never automatically create
Complex with an integral type, as bearophile mentioned. For the rare
cases where complex is needed with integrals, it should be fine to use
Complex!int etc. directly.

Andrei