What remains to be done for D2?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Jun 14 02:07:34 PDT 2011

Petr Janda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please explain what needs to be done (other than fixing
> the plethora of bugs) to call D2 final? And if someone can provide
> an approximate estimate of when?

There are a couple of areas of major missing functionality:
* CTFE should support pointers (upcoming release 2.054) and classes (2.055).
* alias this, inout, safe aren't fully implemented, and will probably
require language changes/clarifications.
* Built-in struct functions (opEquals, toString, etc) need more thought.
* I suspect that we'll see changes to the modifiers for function
parameters (in, out, inout, ref, auto ref)

At the current rate of progress I estimate we are about six months from
having the language implemented (but still with bugs).
But there will still be bugs which can only be fixed by making small
changes to the language spec.

Phobos is quite a bit further away from being "final".

With regard to bugs: the last release fixed more than half of the most
important and difficult structural bugs remaining in the compiler,
including some which had been deferred for years. There are a huge
number of open bugs, of course, but we are on a downhill run now.