DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jun 14 07:09:41 PDT 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:53:16 +0300, Andrei Alexandrescu

> http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP11

Why this is a bad idea:
1) It hard-codes URLs in source code. Projects often move to other
code-hosting services. PHP, Python, Perl, not sure about Ruby all have a
central website which stores package metadata.
2) It requires that the raw source code be available via HTTP. Not all
code hosting services allow this. GitHub will redirect all HTTP requests
to HTTPS.
3) It only solves the problem for D modules, but not any other possible
dependencies.

I understand that this is a very urgent problem, but my opinion is that
this half-arsed solution will only delay implementing and cause migration
problems to a real solution, which should be able to handle svn/hg/git
checkout, proper packages with custom build scripts, versioning,
miscellaneous dependencies, publishing, etc.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net