DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Jun 14 07:45:40 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-14 09:53:16 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP11

I disagree about the model where you specify URLs in source code.

I'd suggest an alternative solution: If DMD finds a dmd.conf file at
the root of one of the -I directories, it uses the download parameters
in that file to download to populate the directory with modules as
needed. This would also apply to the current directory. The content of
that dmd.conf file could look like this:

	[module-download]
	package.*     =  http://someserver.net/d-repo/latest/
	otherpack.*   =  http://otherserver.net/d-repo/1.2/

That way it's easy to understand what comes from where without having
to scan all your source code for pragmas.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/