DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:37:58 PDT 2011

Am 14.06.2011 17:33, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 6/14/11 10:31 AM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Am 14.06.2011 17:31, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
>>> Daniel Gibson:
>>>
>>> If you have your own domain name, you can certainly set this up.
>>>
>>> But if your host is fully managed, probably not. A fix is to set
>>> up a redirection server people can share. This is kinda like a
>>> central repository, but you wouldn't have to upload your files
>>> directly. You might just put up a url (and other metadata?) to point
>>> people to the final location.
>>>
>>> However, I'd prefer to have simple files. Downloading from git
>>> is imo a mistake - those files are probably in development...
>>> meaning they are mutable. If the files are mutable, it includes a
>>> lot of pain for versioning and caching.
>>
>> There could be stable branches in the git repositories for exactly this
>> purpose.
>> Furthermore it's be nice as an additional feature - some people may
>> always want to use the latest bleeding edge version from
>> git/svn/whatever.
>
> I noticed that many online git/svn repos have bridges that serve raw
> files via http directly. No need for using the git/svn tool on the client.
>
> Andrei

Maybe "many" do this, but i.e. custom SVN repos often don't to it.
I like using SVN with trac - trac does have an interface for displaying
the code, you can even download the raw files, but it's rather slow (due
to trac overhead) and usually shouldn't be used to download the source.

Cheers,
- Daniel