DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:42:54 PDT 2011

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> dmd: damn, I guess I'll need to check with the downloader, hey downloader

That's a really good idea. It could be a command line argument that
you set to any external program you want. The dmd distribution might
bundle a default downloader, so it just works out of the box, but
is still a separate program.

> I haven't seen it.

Here's the code: http://arsdnet.net/dcode/build.d

The idea behind it:

   try: dmd -v <args>

   watch for missing import file errors

   if there is a missing file, download the file from a server to
   the local directory. Use the name dmd provided.

   once it's downloaded, add that file to the dmd command line.

   goto try;