DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Wed Jun 15 04:03:31 PDT 2011

> http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP11
>
> Destroy.
>

> Andrei

I think something like CPAN or RubyGems should be done in D, now :-)

I think it would give a big boost to D in many ways:

   * Have a repository of libraries searchable by command line and
retrievable by command line. Many libraries provider can be registered,
like dsource or others.
   * Then you can have a program that downloads all these libraries, one
by one, and see if they compile, link, etc., correctly. If not, you've
broken some of their code. You can choose to break it and notify them,
or just not to break it.

A problem I see in D now is that it's constantly changing (ok, the spec
is frozen, but somehow old libraries stop working) and this will give a
lot of stability to D.

But please, don't reinvent the wheel. Solutions for this already exist
and work pretty well.