DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 05:53:02 PDT 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:47:01 -0400, Adam D. Ruppe
<destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, I don't think it should be limited to just passing a
> url to the helper program.
>
> I'd do it something like this:
>
> dget module.name url_from_pragma

I still don't like the url being stored in the source file -- where
*specifically* on the network to get the file has nothing to do with
compiling the code, and fixing a path problem shouldn't involve editing a
source file -- there is too much risk.

For comparison, you don't have to specify a full path to the compiler of
where to get modules, they are specified relative to the configured
include paths.  I think this model works well, and we should be able to
re-use it for this purpose also.  You could even just use urls as include
paths:

-Ihttp://www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections/import

-Steve