DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jun 15 07:38:28 PDT 2011

> I can't really think of any other issues.

Allow me to repeat: the scheme as you mention it is unable to figure and
load dependent remote libraries for remote libraries. It's essentially a
flat scheme in which you know only the top remote library but nothing
about the rest.

The dip takes care of that by using transitivity and by relying on the
presence of dependency information exactly where it belongs - in the
dependent source files. Separating that information from source files
has two liabilities. First, it breaks the whole transitivity thing.
Second, it adds yet another itsy-bitsy pellet of metadata/config/whatevs
files that need to be minded. I just don't see the advantage of imposing
that.

Andrei