What remains to be done for D2?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jun 15 08:22:19 PDT 2011

On 6/14/11 7:12 PM, Petr Janda wrote:
>>> Overhaul std.container to use it; add classic containers to
> std.container (doubly-linked list, hash, deque)
>
> Hi Andrei,
>
> I think it would be fantastic if D could have most, if not all of
> the C++ containers, so that D also has containers that do not rely
> on garbage collection. I believe I read somewhere that D arrays rely
> on the GC which may not be desirable in certain situations (OS
> programming etc).

I'm currently trying to figure out a design that offers the following:

* several allocation schemes (GC, refcounting, malloc, regions, reaps,
tempalloc)

* two approaches to safety (safe vs. unsafe); sealing can make use of
malloc safe.

* how to distribute responsibility of the above between containers and
what I call "storage models" (which are akin to STL allocators).

Andrei