DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

David Gileadi gileadis at NSPMgmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:37:48 PDT 2011

> http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP11
>
> Destroy.

I keep thinking that if we build a separate dget, dmd could call it even
if there weren't a URL embedded in the source.  If dget had a list of
central repositories then it could simply look in them for the
package/module and compilation would magically work with or without a
pragma.

In any case I suspect that a more formal versioning system is needed.
One way of supporting versions would be to make dget aware of source
control systems like svn, mercurial and git which support tags.

The pragma could support source control URLs, and could also include an
optional version.  dget could be aware of common source control clients,
and could try calling them if installed, looking for the code tagged
with the provided version.  If no version were specified then
head/master would be used.