DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 08:59:19 PDT 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:56:25 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 6/15/11 10:52 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> It occurs to me that you ought to treat network things identically
>> to local modules in every way...
>>
>> dmd app.d ../library.d
>>
>> just works. I propose:
>>
>> dmd app.d http://whatever.com/library.d
>>
>> should just work too - dmd would need only to recognize module name
>> starts with xxxx:// and pass it to the dget program to translate.
>
> Thought of that, too, and also of the idea of two posters in this thread
> to have dget pipe the module to stdout.
>
> The main issue we need to address is what __FILE__ is for such modules
> and how we point users to the location of possible compilation and
> runtime errors.

Change as little as possible internally IMO, __FILE__ should be the url
that dmd receives from the command line.

That also brings up a good point -- dget has to tell dmd where it got the
file from so it can fill in __FILE__ in the case where it's not in a
pragma.

-Steve