DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jun 15 13:47:16 PDT 2011

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:itagdr$29mt$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I can't really think of any other issues.
>
> Allow me to repeat: the scheme as you mention it is unable to figure and
> load dependent remote libraries for remote libraries. It's essentially a
> flat scheme in which you know only the top remote library but nothing
> about the rest.
>
> The dip takes care of that by using transitivity and by relying on the
> presence of dependency information exactly where it belongs - in the
> dependent source files.

Dependency information is already in the source: The "import" statement.

The actual path to the depndencies does not belong in the source file - that
*is* a configuration matter, and cramming it into the source only makes
configuring harder.

> Separating that information from source files has two liabilities. First,
> it breaks the whole transitivity thing.

I think that's solvable.