DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jun 15 13:59:47 PDT 2011

On 6/15/11 3:47 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:itagdr$29mt$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 6/15/11 8:33 AM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> I can't really think of any other issues.
>>
>> Allow me to repeat: the scheme as you mention it is unable to figure and
>> load dependent remote libraries for remote libraries. It's essentially a
>> flat scheme in which you know only the top remote library but nothing
>> about the rest.
>>
>> The dip takes care of that by using transitivity and by relying on the
>> presence of dependency information exactly where it belongs - in the
>> dependent source files.
>
> Dependency information is already in the source: The "import" statement.
>
> The actual path to the depndencies does not belong in the source file - that
> *is* a configuration matter, and cramming it into the source only makes
> configuring harder.

Why? I mean I can't believe it just because you are saying it. On the
face of it, it seems that on the contrary, there's no more need for
crummy little configuration files definition, discovery, adjustment,
parsing, etc. Clearly such are needed in certain situations but I see no
reason on why they must be the only way to go.

Andrei