Scala collections

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Jun 17 18:12:49 PDT 2011

Timon Gehr:

> I'm hardly halfway through, but I think we need to steal some Scala features
> sometime! =)

The most important features of Scala are in its refined type system. The things you underline aren't the most important ones.

> "var"/"val" are very short names for often used keywords. (not too descriptive though)

In origin it was "invariant", then we have asked for "immutable", but now I like val better because it's shorter. I have seen D code use more "const" maybe just because "immutable" is a longer word.

> List comprehensions. Is it maybe possible to get equivalent functionality and
> conciseness in a library solution?

List comps are good to improve psychological chunking. In dlibs1 I have a select that apes them, but we are not there.

> Simple pattern matching (bearophile's well-known tuple unpacking sugar)

Scala pattern matching is far more than just unpacking tuples. But currently I don't miss it a lot.

Bye,
bearophile