Is it too late to change the name of this language?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 07:33:56 PDT 2011

Am 18.06.2011 11:52, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> I mean C, Java,
> Python, Perl, Ruby, etc. These are all names which would be horrible to search
> for if it weren't for the fact that their so big at this point a large portion
> of the hits is for them instead of the words that their names come from.

I agree for C, but not for Java, Python etc. (And C was already big
enough when the internet started, so it's not that much of a problem)
Their name is not unique (like Brainfuck probably is), but if you search
for it in the context of programming you probably won't get results
about coffee, snakes, ...
If you search for D in the context of programming, it's not that great -
many pages that have nothing to do with D contain Ds.

But if you search for "foobar d programming language" you get pretty
good results - even though some may be missing because some people may
only mention D on their homepage and not "D programming language" or
"programing language D".

I'd have preferred another name (like mars - "phobos" makes much more
sense when the language is called "mars"), but I think we can live with
it and it's definitely to late to change.

Cheers,
- Daniel