Is it too late to change the name of this language?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:11:39 PDT 2011

Am 18.06.2011 17:05, schrieb alphabeta:
> On 19/06/11 12:21 AM, Daniel Gibson wrote:

>>> Just about nobody understands (web) searching with"'s.
>>>
>>> Of course the advanced (web) searcher knows that the use of
>>> "'s are often indispensible and dammed if you don't.
>>>
>>> It was a boon when Google started to recognize non alpha characters such
>>> as '+' so it is now easy to search for C++ material.
>>>
>>> So here's an idea, call D2 D++.  :-)
>>>
>>> ab
>>
>> Won't help at all, non-alphabetic chars like + are usually ignored in
>> the search index (maybe there's an explicit exception for "c++").
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Daniel
>
> Any maybe an exception for .Net's C# as well?
>
> C#
>
> About 188,000,000 results (0.11 seconds)
>
> ... with first dozen pages of results all about C Sharp PL.
>
> dunno
>
> ab

there may be special cases for some well know terms like C++, C#, ...
but e.g. foobar# yields the same results as foobar.
if you search with source code snippets (or error messages containing a
lot of non alphabetical characters) on normal google, you often get
results that don't contain the non-alpha chars at all, because they are
stripped.

hmm I just realized that google does *not* ignore ++ (even though it
ignores # and --) - foobar++ yields different results than foobar,
foobar-- or foobar#.