Rename std.string.toStringz?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 18 15:42:16 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-18 06:35, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/18/11 4:59 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > I'll look at renaming toUTF16z to toWStringz to match toStringz (as was
> > suggested by a couple of people in this thread)
>
> That should be a template toUTFz that takes either char*, wchar*, or
> dchar*.

A good point. Are you arguing that toStringz should be replaced by such a
construct? Or that it should simply exist in addition to toStringz?

Also, we _could_ make it so that such a template would take the mutabality of
the pointer as well (e.g. toUTF!(char*)(str), toUTF!(const(char)*), etc.),
which would allow it to be used in cases where you actually want a mutable
string (which toStringz doesn't do).

- Jonathan M Davis