DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 06:32:14 PDT 2011

Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2011-06-14 15:53, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP11
>>
>> Destroy.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> Instead of complaining about others ideas (I'll probably do that as well
> :) ), here's my idea:
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Oribt-Package-Manager-for-D
>
> I'm working on both of the tools mentioned in the above link. The ideas
> for the package manager are heavily based on Rubygems.

Looks good, and has a cool name too! I love the reference to the mars /
phobos theme.

After 'cloning into orbit...', I think I'm missing a ruby ffi binding. Is it
possible to build it already? Or is it too early for that?

If I'm not mistaken the dependency on ruby is nicely factored into a very
small part of orbit and could easily be replaced if someone would be
inclined to do so. I'd prefer this over ruby, but I prefer ruby over the
dsss format. In the end, what matters is the value of the tool.