DIP 11: trial partial implementation

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jun 19 12:38:50 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-19 20:31, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:itkp2l$1ru0$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 2011-06-19 02:10, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>> http://arsdnet.net/dcode/build2.d
>>>
>>> * Be fast. It loops dmd like my old build.d. (I can't find a better
>>>     way to do it. Even rdmd always runs dmd at least twice - check
>>>     its source!)
>>
>> That shouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> First run:
>>
>> * Run the compiler once with the -deps flag to collect the dependencies
>> * Run the compiler again to compile everything
>> * Cache dependencies
>>
>> Later runs:
>>
>> * Run the compiler once with the -deps flag and compile everything
>
> Using the -deps flag to *just* get the deps is very fast. Much faster than a
> full compile.

I understand that that would be faster when the dependencies have
changed but if they haven't then you just have to run the compiler once.
Don't know what would be best to do though.

BTW, to just get the dependencies, would that be with the -deps and -c
flags? Is the a better way? I mean if you just specify the -deps flag it
will do a full compilation. Seems to me that skipping linking (-c flag)
is a little too much as well for what's actually necessary. Would be
good to have a flag that does only what's absolutely necessary for
tracking dependencies.

--
/Jacob Carlborg