Article discussing Go, could well be D

Jose Armando Garcia jsancio at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:59:23 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On 2011-06-19 19:02, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>>
>> I still don't understand that completely. So does it list the files
>> which will be contained in the package later, or file dependencies
>> contained in other packages?
>> (I'm asking because I'm not familiar
>> with file-dependencies in package management systems. Most package
>> management systems make a package depend on other packages, but not on
>> the files in the packages)
>
> Ok, let me explain. When developing a package management system the first
> thing one has do decide is if the package should contain pre-built
> binaries/libraries, we can call these binary packages, or the necessary
> files to build the package when installing, we can call these source package
> (not to be confused with the source type you've mentioned below). As a third
> option, one could have a mixed package system containing both binary and
> source packages. Maybe even mixed packages could be possible.

Why decide on "file" package? This only works with packages that can
be compiled. Think non-D source code packages and close source
packages. Even one of the most commonly known "file" package manager
(Gentoo's portage) allows for binary packages.

Another example is caching. Many software development organization
keep internal library/program repository that have been clear by the
organization for many reasons (e.g. licensing, security, support,
etc). Our packaging solution should work such an environment.

-Jose