Article discussing Go, could well be D

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 03:53:27 PDT 2011

Am 20.06.2011 10:52, schrieb Johannes Pfau:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:

>>> Why decide on "file" package? This only works with packages that can
>>> be compiled. Think non-D source code packages and close source
>>> packages. Even one of the most commonly known "file" package manager
>>> (Gentoo's portage) allows for binary packages.
>>
>> I guess we could have a mixed system, with both source and binary
>> packages.
>
> Definitely. Standardised source packages allow automated binary package
> building, even for different architectures. Users should also be able
> to make small changes to source packages and create their own binary
> packages easily. Source packages only wouldn't work either, think of
> users on embedded systems. Compiling everything on a machine with 16MB
> ram and 200mhz isn't fun. Also binary packages are quite convenient.

1. Will you develop or compile your own software (that uses software
from the package manager) on the embedded system? I guess it's more
common to develop the software on a PC or whatever and upload it to the
embedded system.

2. Will an embedded system with such restricted resources have a x86
arch - or will it more likely be ARM or even something completely different?
Should there be binaries available for any architecture (that's hard,
because most developers probably only have x86/amd64)? If not, you'd
have to compile yourself anyway.
(And of course we need a working compiler for that architecture first)

Cheers,
- Daniel