DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 21 10:36:59 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-21 10:17, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Maybe I was a bit too harsh saying that std.benchmark maybe wasn't worth
> adding. On the other hand isn't this what the review process is about
> (or maybe this is before the review process)? We can't include
> EVERYTHING in Phobos or it will become like the Java/C# standard
> library, I assume we don't want that.

Why not? Granted, we want quality code, and we only have so many people
working on Phobos and only so many people to help vet code, but assuming that
it can be written at the appropriate level of quality and that the
functionality is generally useful, I don't see why we wouldn't want a large
standard library like Java and C# have. Given our level of manpower, I don't
expect that we'll ever have a standard library that large, but I don't see why
having a large standard library would be a bad thing as long as it's of high
quality and its functionality is generally useful.

- Jonathan M Davis