DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 21 21:13:10 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:itpn8m$1c1i$1 at digitalmars.com...

> "target" works like this:
>
> 1. You call "target" passing in the name of the target and a block
>
> 2. "target" then call the block passing in an instance of a Target class
> (or similar)
>
> 3. In the block you then specify all the necessary settings you need for
> this particular target.
>
> You should only call "target" once for each target. So, if you pass in
> "name2" instead of "name" you would create a new target. I haven't figured
> out what should happen if you call "target" twice with the same name.
>
> Also note that this would be sufficient:
>
> target "name" do
>     flags "-l-lz"
> end
>
> In that case you wouldn't even have to care about "t" or that it even
> exists an instance behind the since. It would just be syntax.
>
> You can have a look at how Rake and Rubgems do this:
>
> If you look at the Rake examples:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_%28software%29 then a target would work
> the same as a Rake task.
>
> Have a look at the top example of:
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/rubygems-update/Gem/Specification.html

FWIW, I've been using Rake heavily on a non-D project for about a year or
so, and the more I use it the more I keep wishing I could just use D instead
of of Ruby. That may have a lot to do with why I'm so interested in seeing
Dake use D. Of course, I realize that Dake isn't Rake and isn't going to be
exactly the same, but it's still Ruby instead of D and that's proven to be
the #1 issue that I have with Rake.