Programming language benchmark

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 04:52:50 PDT 2011

On 22.06.2011 15:41, bearophile wrote:
> Piotr Szturmaj:
>
>> I don't know why there's no DMD flavor, though.
> The author of that bench has said:
>> I have not evaluated DMD because I am running the programs on a Linux server I have no control of. The “libc” is quite old and incompatible with the binary release of dmd.<
>
>> It clearly shows that D is really fast (comparable to C) which I like a lot!
Yeah, if that's supposed to show anything.
I personally dislike the way author benchmarks regexes anyway, e.g. perl:

while (<>) {
chomp;
print $_, "\n" if /$re/;
}

chomp??
and printing each line will get this test biased by performance of text
printing facilities.
Same things with C, gets and puts and chomping that have nothing to do
with pattern matching:

while (fgets(buf, BUF_SIZE - 1, stdin)) {
++l;
for (q = buf; *q; ++q); if (q > buf) *(q-1) = 0;//was that triming '\n'?
if (regexec(&r, buf, 10, match, 0) != REG_NOMATCH)
puts(buf);
}

> Only LDC and GDC. DMD is not up to GCC/ICC/LLVM even on integer math benchmarks.

Mm, proof link? :)

--
Dmitry Olshansky