D on ARM

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jun 23 22:54:40 PDT 2011

"Andrew Wiley" <wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1177.1308888314.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> So it seems that ARM is going to be getting quite a bit bigger in the
> future, between the rise of smarter phones and Windows 8 support, and in
> general D just doesn't exist on ARM.
> GDC kind of works, but I've been unable to come up with a simple test case
> for a bug with the section-anchors optimization, and fibers simply don't
> work (although that may be due to some bad alignment in the D versions of
> some C data structures that I haven't looked too far into yet).
>
> Aside from that, D is pretty much x86 specific. LDC builds on ARM but
> segfaults when trying to build DRuntime, and DMD only supports x86
> codegen.
> All assembly in DRuntime is x86 specific.
>
> I realize I'm a lurker around here, and while I've tried to get GDC
> working
> a bit better on ARM, I've been mostly unsuccessful, but should we, as a
> community, be making some sort of commitment to make this better? I'm not
> trying to be imposing (well, I am to some extent, but I realize I have no
> right to), but this seems like it will probably get much more important in
> the next few years.

Actually, I strongly agree with you. The idea of being able to use something
better than C/C++ on ARM-level embedded devices is one of the major things
that drew me to D in the first place, getting close to ten years ago now (I
was doing some GBA homebrew at the time, and had to use C - it got the job
done, but it was an anachronistic language even back then). It's kind of
frustrating that we're still not really there yet (although I admit it's
been years since I've really had a chance to do anything outside the
desktop/server). And it's not just getting the basics working, but also
being able to easily handle embedded-oriented concerns like being able to
ban GC allocs at compiletime (GC would be inappropriate on something like
the GBA/DS, for instance). I've always been *far* more interested in
ARM/embedded issues than the x64/multicore/concurrency issues that have been
getting most of the focus. So that's been frustrating for me to watch.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much I would personally be able to
contribute to the cause :/ I know next-to-nothing about compiler backends,
druntime, LLVM or GCC, and my ARM experience was years ago and was C-only
without really delving into the asm (neither arm nor thumb).