Rename std.string.toStringz?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Jun 25 19:21:35 PDT 2011

> The current plan at the moment when it comes to deprecation is that things
> which are deprecated will generally be labeled as scheduled for deprecation
> for 6 months, deprecated for 6 months, and then fully removed - though the
> exact length may vary depending on release dates and what exactly is being
> deprecated (e.g. stuff that's been around longer is more likely to take longer
> to remove than stuff that's changed after a single release - which hopefully
> happens very rarely). So, code shouldn't be breaking out from under people,
> and they'll have some time to make the necessary changes as best fits what
> they're doing.

Using the deprecation mechanism to give people warning of breaking changes is
good. But *still* we need to restrict breaking things only if we've got
compelling, and I mean compelling, reasons to do so.

We simply cannot build a D community on a mass of code that won't compile.
Dsource is full of that.