Rename std.string.toStringz?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 19:47:57 PDT 2011

Walter Bright wrote:
> But *still* we need to restrict breaking things only if we've got
> compelling, and I mean compelling, reasons to do so.

Amen. I have a D codebase now of almost 50,000 lines. Every time
I update the dmd, I've gotta make dozens of trivial changes and
sometimes, major ones.

Last update, for example, broke half my lines of std.string.replace.
Not only was it renamed, it stopped working with immutable(string)!
Aaaargh!

Now my production code is littered with casts just to shut it up.
What a waste of time and something that may introduce bugs later.
And what did we gain?

Well, it is cool that the function works on more stuff... but it's
not cool that it works on less stuff.

Ugh. I never regret going D - I wouldn't have it any other way.
But still.... ugh.