Rename std.string.toStringz?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jun 25 20:02:29 PDT 2011

Walter :

> To put this in perspective, here are some very successful languages and systems
> that never ever ever change function names, no matter what:

> C++
> Windows
> Linux

People that use those systems are willing to accept lot of legacy cruft because along with it, they gain backward compatibility with lot of past things. But I think users of a new language as D are less willing to accept similar things, because I think some of them are using D in the first place because it contains less legacy stuff/designs/cruft. On the other hand I agree that changing the name of toStringz is bad, on overall.

As usual designing is a matter of finding a good balance among different tradeoffs :-)

Bye,
bearophile