Rename std.string.toStringz?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 25 20:21:42 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-25 20:12, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Am 26.06.2011 04:18, schrieb Walter Bright:
> > On 6/25/2011 6:50 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> >> In the future the D community may be even larger - much larger
> >> hopefully. IMHO inconsistent naming in the standard lib makes D look
> >> unprofessional. If someone take a first look at the languages and it's
> >> standard lib and it looks like it's just cobbled together it may scare
> >> him off.
> >
> > Perhaps you're right. But breaking his existing, working code will scare
> > off a lot more people.
>
> They're already using D and thus probably already like it too much to be
> scared off by renaming some functions ;)
>
> >> I agree that there shouldn't be breaking changes /all the time/, but I'd
> >> really like to see *one* big breaking update that fixes all naming
> >> inconsistencies within Phobos. (Keeping deprecated aliases for the old
> >> names for some releases should make the transition easier.)
> >
> > Breaking existing code has been going on for years now. It needs to stop.
>
> Hmm.. it probably should. So let's stop it - *after* bringing Phobos in
> a (naming-wise) consistent state.

I generally agree with this, but stability does need to be reached soon.

> OTOH Phobos isn't done yet anyway (parts will be reaplaced, like
> std.stream and std.xml and new stuff will be added), so people shouldn't
> expect it to be stable yet anyway.

Part of the problem is that it _needs_ to become stable. Parts of it aren't
can't be yet, but it needs to reach that point so that people can rely on it
being stable. The more mature D is the less we can afford to change things.
And we _need_ to reach the where stuff works and doesn't change much, if at
all.

- Jonathan M Davis